NGO "Grin-List"

 

  • Vodocha Monastery is located near Strumica, 4 km. northwest of the city at an altitude of 269 m.
  • The cultural-historical site is a complex of several churches and archeological sites that have intertwined over time. Three churches (east, west and middle) have been preserved with three phases of frescoes in the interiors, ancillary buildings and a monastery complex, a dining room, commercial buildings and two baths.
  • The oldest discovered object in the Vodocha complex is an early Christian basilica from V-VI century.
  • In a calendar entry it is stated that the monastery was an episcopal residence in the Strumica region.
  • Regarding the first Vodocha church, it is known that it was demolished around VI-VII century, and then rebuilt. According to some archaeologists, the reconstruction of this "eastern" church is associated with the Bulgarian ruler Boris, others believe that it dates back to the time of Tsar Simeon, while others place it in the time of the Macedonian Tsar Samuel.
  • The Eastern Church is a three-nave domed church. Today, the altar apse, the proscomedy and the deaconry have been preserved from it, and the original iconostasis was made of marble.
  • The demolition of this church is related to the collapse of Samuel's state and the fall of Strumica under Byzantine rule in 1018.
  • At the beginning of the XI century on the place of the "eastern" episcopal church was built a church dedicated to St. Leontius, a Christian martyr from the city of Tripoli-Phenicia who was killed during the reign of the Roman emperor Vespasian in 69 and 79. Since then, the only surviving frescoes of St. Evplos and St. Isavrios who are among the masterpieces of medieval fresco painting.
  • The Eastern Church is a three-nave domed church. Today, the altar apse, the proscomedy and the deaconry have been preserved from it, and the original iconostasis was made of marble.
  • The demolition of this church is related to the collapse of Samuel's state and the fall of Strumica under Byzantine rule in 1018.
  • At the beginning of the XI century on the place of the "eastern" episcopal church was built a church dedicated to St. Leontius, a Christian martyr from the city of Tripoli-Phenicia who was killed during the reign of the Roman emperor Vespasian in 69 and 79. Since then, the only surviving frescoes of St. Evplos and St. Isavrios who are among the masterpieces of medieval fresco painting.
Powered by ExtStore Advanced Portfolio